Thread: Proper way to Add VBox in 22.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Proper way to Add VBox in 22.04

What is the proper way to install VirtualBox in Ubuntu 22.04 ???

Previously, after Fresh install of 22.04 on new SSD, after all updates, installed Synaptic and found VirtualBox selecting install.
    After next boot screen filled up with continous Error messages. Managed to write down the Error, screen fills up with ...

"UBSAN: array index out of bounds in /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox 6.1.50/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvGip"

Had to Re-install the OS. Now need to Add VirtualBox back in because I use it for my Trading Software which runs on Windows ONLY.

Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Proper way to Add VBox in 22.04

I would suggest that you download and install Virtualbox directly from the downloads available at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads then enable their repos using the info shown in the section on Debian-based Linux distributions.
    That will make sure that your Virtualbox version is kept updated automatically along with all other packages in Ubuntu.

I no longer use Virtualbox having moved over to KVM/QEMU a long time ago which in my opinion is much better if using a Linux host OS.
    I would therefore recommend that you try it yourself, easily done by installing the virt-manager package which will automatically pull in everything else needed to use KVM/QEMU

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation for more details.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Is Ubuntu / UbuntuStudio v22.04 considered a mixed installation being made on an AMD64 kernel with 32 bit packages?
    If so, the VirtualBox page above says ii is not supported, and would need to setup a 64-bit chroot environment (whatever that means).

My Vbox data is extensive, with Trading Software etc. 60 GB on separate Drive. Can not Install all over again, and don't have time to learn new Software (KVM/QEMU). I can't make another mistake.

Followed your advice to download the DEB file from VirtualBox website, but had to follow these instructions https://gcore.com/learning/how-to-in...box-on-ubuntu/ to add ppa and keys. Now up and running in no time, after adding my appliance (via its own folder).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rick St. George; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I would therefore recommend that you try it yourself, easily done by installing the virt-manager package which will automatically pull in everything else needed to use KVM/QEMU
    Question: Since my Data is extensive within my VM Appliance, is there a way to transfer or export it into KVM?

I may try it since I believe I need to Delete/Remove Vbox as my computer is having trouble booting (black screen) See Here.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Hello,

I do not know about the transfer you are asking about, yet the errors you are facing during boot have to do with kernel-virtualbox issues, that I have come across as well and which haven't affected my booting experience, except seeing the error messages for a little while. I think that you might have to look elsewhere for your booting problem.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Found the following via AI.

kernel-virtualbox issues in Ubuntu v22.04

The kernel-virtualbox issue in Ubuntu v22.04 seems to be related to the VirtualBox kernel driver not being installed or set up correctly.
    Here are some possible solutions:

1. Run the following command as root to set up the VirtualBox kernel driver again.

Code:
    sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
    2. If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled, you may need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before loading them. You can do this by following your Linux system’s documentation for more information.

To troubleshoot the issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Check if the VirtualBox kernel driver is installed by running the command
    Code:
    lsmod | grep vbox
    If the driver is not installed, you can install it by running the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox
    2. Check if the kernel modules are signed by running the command
    Code:
    lsmod | grep vbox | xargs modinfo
    If the modules are not signed, you can sign them by running the command
    Code:
    sudo sign-kernel-module vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp vboxpci
    Note: this would not work for me (sign-kernel-module: command not found)

3. Try to load the VirtualBox kernel driver by running the command

Code:
    sudo modprobe vboxdrv
    I have tried these, and will Shutdown and ReStart to see what happens, and report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would do everything in your power to move off VirtualBox.

You're adding substantial security risk to your data and systems by using it. Don't believe me? Just see https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...irtualbox.html

There really are much more elegant solutions to virtualization and containers.

Since you're into trading, the value proposition of a good investment should not be lost on you.